Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Design: Semester goals:

As we move forward into a new year and a new semester I have highlighted goals I would like to accomplish through out the course of this studio, as well as a few strengths as well as weaknesses that I carry as a design student.  The first goal that I would like to see carried out through this semester is a focus on holism.  I hope to gain a greater understanding of how materiality, furnishings, interiors, spaces and exteriors all relate to our study of design, as well as observing the content, or what all these things “mean” opposed to just the context, or how they appear. Another goal I would like to focus on for this semester is to approach design as both a philosophy as well as a practice. Often I find it hard to balance between doing, and producing design work verses ingesting the meaning and ideas behind what it is I am studying and trying to achieve. When thinking about my strengths and weaknesses a few come to mind. I find it difficult to really turn my eyes inward and truly evaluate my self.  I believe that one of my most valuable strengths is my passion for the field of design. The natural high I get from completing a successful project is always in the back of my mind when moving forward with a new design challenge. 

            After completing the change style indicator in class today it came as no surprise to me that I scored quite strongly in the conserver category. I often find in life as well as academics I find that I thrive in an environment full of routine and consistency. Although in many aspects this trait serves me very well as a designer it is often necessary to be unconventional and spontaneous. After taking the time to understand my strengths, weaknesses, goals, and what type of worker I am applied to design I am excited and optimistic about the challenges a new semester as and Interior Architecture will bring me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment